Thursday, February 16, 2012

Almost There...

How far along: 38 weeks
Total weight gain: 25 pounds
Best moment this month: Finding out that Aubrie is still growing inside me. I haven't blogged about this yet...so here is the story. At our 20 week ultrasound we found out that Aubrie had a single artery umbilical cord (babies are supposed to have two). There were several complications that could go along with this condition including heart problems and genetic disorders. The doctors ruled out both of those, thank the Lord! They said she looked great and had a wonderful looking heart. The only other issues then could possibly come later on in pregnancy. They watched very closely for her to continue growing. Since she only has one artery bringing blood to her, she had the potential to stop growing, at which point they would need to watch even more closely and deliver her right away if need be. Everything was going along fine until our 32 week appointment. My tummy was measuring two weeks behind what it should have been. We had an extra ultrasound scheduled for 34 weeks, so the doctor said it would be okay to wait until then to see if she needed to be delivered early. That was such a long two weeks! It was difficult to switch my mindset from having a March baby to potentially having a January or early February baby. We prayed that if she did need to come early she would be developed enough that there wouldn't be major complications after birth. We prayed for two weeks for her development and growth! When we went in for the ultrasound they said that she was doing great! She was almost 5 pounds already, which is just about what a baby at her stage should be! Praise the Lord! She looked healthy and my doctor said it looked like she could possibly go full term. We were so excited! We have had a scare here and there with subsequent doctor visits, including a couple of non-stress tests at the hospital, but Aubrie seems to be happy and growing in there. We have another ultrasound on Monday to check her growth again, but I feel like we are definitely past the scary part that an extra early delivery would have brought about. We continue to pray for her growth and development. We know that the Lord formed her and has His hand on her at all times!
Food cravings: None...am I weird?
Gender: Still a girl...and we did have the ultrasound tech check the last time we were in. (Grant was a girl for a little while until we found out otherwise!)
What I miss: Holding Grant on my lap. We try, but it is getting harder and harder. I also miss being able to carry him around (which I never thought I would say!). He is wanting me to carry him more and more as he starts to feel the shifting with Aubrie coming. I hate it when I have to tell him no. It's sad that we are moving out of the stage where he is just easy for me to hold and carry. At least I know I will still be able to do it again once she is born...for a little bit longer :) I also miss sleeping next to my husband. At this point I sleep surrounded by four pillows. That way I am comfortable (or relatively comfortable) each way I turn. But it does put up quite a wall between us.
What I am looking forward to: I am really looking forward to seeing Grant with her. He is so sweet to her already! The other day he got out a whistle and told me he was going to blow it to tell Aubrie it is time to come out now. And more and more he comes up to my tummy and gets the sweetest expression on his face and says "Hi Aubrie" in this high voice. He is going to be such a great big brother, and I can't wait to see him see her for the first time.
Milestones: Not fitting into anything but pregnancy clothes. I have finally had to stop wearing all of my "big" clothes and go for strictly maternity clothes. I'm much smaller than I was with Grant at this stage, so all of my maternity clothes from him are huge on me. Thankfully, my wonderful friend, Carly, who just had her baby in January, loaned all of her clothes to me!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are through the worst. My pregnancy was stressful and scary with twins too, so I understand. Here is hoping for a smooth rest of the way for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to get "the call" !!!! Such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! So glad everyone is healthy!

    ReplyDelete