Sunday, September 11, 2011

Potty Training Failure

I'm not sure who's failure it is when you try to potty train your child and it doesn't quite work. I really thought that Grant was ready.  Or was I just ready for him to be ready? I read a book about potty training called Pottywise. It gave a list of "signs of readiness". He met most of them...not all...but most. And he seems to be pretty intelligent, so I thought it would go okay.

We started out by taking him to the store to buy his "big boy underwear". He was beyond excited and loved laying them all out.



The next morning we started out by walking through the potty process with a stuffed frog named Tad. Pottywise suggested that having a prop for your child to teach how to use the toilet would encourage them to do it. Part of the process is giving treats when either the prop or your child "go" in the toilet. Grant caught on right away that when Tad "went", Grant got candy. He kept asking for Tad to go potty. I told you he was intelligent. So, while we waited for Grant to use the potty for the first time himself, I started making some oatmeal for breakfast. It was while I was waiting for the milk to boil that I discovered that Grant had had his first accident in his undies. I took him back to the bathroom to clean up and sit on the potty. A little too late I remembered my milk waiting to boil. It was all over the stove! But I didn't have time to clean it up because I had to get back to Grant in the bathroom. We put on a new pair of underwear, and I went back to getting breakfast ready. Before I could really get anything done...such as clean up the mess I had just made or even get another breakfast made...he peed again. Back to the bathroom. I decided that after 4 accidents in 2 hours, with no sign of a desire to even try going in the potty, but wanting Tad to go all the time it was time to quit for the day. I felt so defeated and frustrated. Two hours of constantly checking for wet undies and cleaning up messes is very stressful...not to mention my kitchen was a disaster! When Paul got home that night he could tell that I had had a frustrating day, and being the wonderful man that he is, told me to go get myself a coffee and relax for a while. I was peacefully sipping my Decaf Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino when I got a text from Paul...Guess What?!
Twice!! He peed in the potty twice for Daddy! (sorry for the nudie picture)

We tried again the next day, but he didn't really want to do it, and I didn't want to push. He wanted to keep his diaper on and he kept asking for Daddy. Maybe this will have to be a job for Daddy.

So...long story...potty training is on hold for now. Any advice or suggestions?!

5 comments:

  1. ive noticed the bigger deal i make it with Henry the more he doesnt want to do it. He is not "trained" by any means but he has been going 3 or 4 times a day... I just pull his diaper off him and tell him its time to sit on the potty.. if he goes he gets a chocolate chip if he doesnt we just praise him for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I know that having Daddy train boys especially can work. Maybe Daddy can make a weekend of it. I know of a few boys trained this way by Daddy. David used to pee with the boys just to show them how and just to give them the feeling of being like Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how it went with Campbell. Then one day, she was just ready... I wish I would have just waited instead of pushing it. Too many messes (including poop messes!) for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pushed too much with Laurelin, so I went way lax with Uriah... He usually wants to go before bed (stalling), but hey, I'll take what I can get! I think it does help to have an older sibling... But he likes when he uses the potty and I tell him he's a big boy like Daddy. He goes #2 most of the time, but there's no way I'm putting him in underwear yet... He's too unpredictable with his pee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jude isn't big enough to tell me when he needs to go, but we have learned to anticipate fairly well For instance, most days he is ready to drop his morning business about 30 minutes after waking. Mess #1 avoided. On days where we go without a diaper, it's off to the toilet every 30 - 45 minutes just to make sure, and a big "YAAAY GOOD JOB!" no matter what the results. It doesn't happen in a day, but a few weeks of watering the flowers by the porch and making bubbles or sinking cheerios with dad, and Grant will catch on to the fun. You might have Paul show him what the front flap is for, so he makes another distinction between underwear and diaper. One day isn't a failure, it's just a start same as any other.

    ReplyDelete