Friday, January 6, 2012

Memorable Christmas Moments

We had a wonderful Christmas! Of course...who doesn't? :) I guess unless your family has issues getting along, then it could be a less than enjoyable time...but anyways...ours was great! I haven't even posted about our actual Christmas celebrations, but these things have really been on my mind as we moved through the season and even now afterwards.
We really try as parents to make sure that Grant knows the true meaning of Christmas. It can sometimes be really hard when he doesn't fully comprehend the story of Jesus' birth but he does physically see all the presents and excitement around him. We read him children's stories about the birth of Christ, we try to talk about it as much as possible during the season, and we make sure that we tell him every once in a while that Christmas is about Jesus' birthday. But I don't ever really know how much he gets. I know that as time goes on, and we continue in these things, he will learn what it's really all about. This Christmas though, when he is only 2 1/2, I am so thankful for the little glimpses I got into his heart.
Last Christmas he got a small little person nativity set. When we brought it out this year with all the other decorations, he immediately set it up like this...
It thrilled my heart to see that he knew the focus was on the baby Jesus. Now I don't know for sure that all of that was in his heart, but my mommy heart was overjoyed to think that something might actually be sinking in.
We went to a live nativity this year in Jacksonville. It was very well done with multiple live scenes depicting the story of Jesus' birth. Grant went right along with us, and really seemed to be interested in each step. When we got to the stable with Mary and Joseph it was sweet to see him just standing there watching them. Another moment that made my eyes water. (Don't know if you can see Grant or not...he is on the left side.)
On Christmas Eve we were at my Grandma's house celebrating with extended family like we always do. It came time for Uncle Bart to read the Christmas story. Everyone was quiet as he began. I'm not sure at which part in the story it was, but Grant came up to me and said, "I know this story. It's about baby Jesus." Of all the moments, this gave me the most transparent view of his heart. I thank the Lord so much for that moment. Whether or not he understands the significance of baby Jesus yet, the facts are in there somewhere, and that makes me really happy.
So whether or not Grant is excited next year about presents, Santa, or Jesus. We will strive to continue to make sure that our focus as a family is not on what we get out of Christmas but on Jesus and why He came to earth. My prayer for my children is that in the years to come their knowledge of the true Christmas story will grow and grow. But not only that, that they will begin to understand the significance of Jesus coming to us as a baby and His eventual sacrifice for us on the cross.

1 comment: