Friday, November 26, 2010

Mommy and Daddy

Day 4: My Parents

My Parents: I have always been very proud to call Kathy and John my parents. They have both been wonderful examples to me in many different ways. The thing I admire most about my parents though is their commitment to God and each other. Even when times are tough, they stick it out and trust the Lord to bring them to the other side. I admire their determination to stay true to their vows even when the rest of the world acts as if divorce is just a part of life. Through their example, I know that Paul and I can make it through any difficult situation that comes along if we stay committed to the commitments we made to God and each other.

My Dad: My dad is someone that I have always been able to count on. He was always at my sport, academic, musical, etc. functions. My dad has been an example to me of hard work, loving God and his family. He grew up in Pennsylvania. I used to think it was so cool that my dad lived near the Amish people, and always thought it was so funny when people would ask me if he was Amish. Although he has always had his mustache (except for a couple times when he was talked into shaving it off) he is not Amish. He is a wonderful musician though! He plays the trumpet better than anyone I have ever known. I love when he plays the song "Sleigh Ride", so he plays it especially for me every year around Christmas. My dad can always make me laugh when someone leaves a light on in the house when they leave a room and he goes into that room and yells at the "people" to "Get out of here!" I don't know if anyone else thinks it's funny, but I do, and he knows it, so he does it for me. My dad loves to make his kids happy.

My Mom: My mom is known as "The President". Our family friend says that if you are ever in jail you should use your one phone call to call my mom...she will do whatever it takes to get things done. She is super efficient and always manages to get way more done than anyone would ever imagine possible. I can't even begin to list the things that make my mom an amazing woman. She would do anything for her kids! When I was a freshman in college I was having a hard time adjusting to being away from home. She would drive to my school (a 2 1/2 hour drive) on Friday afternoon to bring me home for the weekend. Then she would turn right around and take me back to school on Sunday. My mom has always been my best friend and an ever present listening ear. Whatever is going on in my life I always want to talk to my mom about it. Her best advice is always to trust the Lord in whatever situation I find myself. Her life has always been an example of doing just that.

I am so thankful that the Lord blessed me with the parents He did. I am honored to be called their daughter.
P.S. I forgot to mention that my parents are wonderful grandparents. Grant loves his Poppop and Gammy!

1 comment: