Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Love

Day 3: My First Love


I need to start off by saying...even though Paul was not my "first love", he is the love of my life. I had a hard time trying to decide what to write today. Because even though I may have felt like I was "in love" before, it was never like the love I feel for Paul. I wish I could say that I never fell in love with anyone but my husband. And I wish I could say that I saved all my love for Paul (like he says he did for me). But the truth is, I am a girl. And I was always quite the girly, girl who fell "in love" with every guy I liked. Like I mentioned yesterday, even in first grade I put my name in front of the last name of the guy I liked. So even though I don't like to think of him as a "love" I will tell you about my first real and longest dating relationship.

I was a sophomore, he was a senior. I liked watching football, he was a football star. I was a wrestling stat keeper, he was a wrestler. I had always known about him, but didn't really know him. We grew up in the same town just a few years apart. His name was Aaron. At first I was flattered that an older guy wanted to hang out with me. I wasn't ever really sure how much he liked me though, since he would want to hang out on the weekends, but when we were in school he acted like I didn't exsist. Sometimes I wouldn't hear from him for a few weekends, and then I would find out that he was dating his old girlfriend again. I don't know how many times that happened, and you think I would have been smart enough to rid myself of him. But being the GIRL that I am...I always let him come back.
He left for college without saying a word to me. He later called and apologized, but the damage had been done. I was finished with him. Plus, I started making real with the fact that he wasn't a Christian. Definitely not someone that I would want to marry. But he was persistant, he called me, emailed me, sent me letters and gifts. He also became a Christian. I don't claim any responsibility in his decision to do that, but the Lord can use anything to draw people to Himself I guess. I eventually gave in and started dating him with the promise that he was a different person...and he was!
The second part of our relationship was completely different than the first. I felt cherished and cared for. He was attentive, and I felt really cool being a freshman in college with a junior boyfriend on the football team. We had a wonderful year and a half together. We eventually went our separate ways, like many first loves do. I will always be thankful for the time we spent together and for the things I learned about myself and what I wanted in my future mate while we were together.
Unfortunately, I dated Aaron in the years before I had a digital camera, so I don't have any pictures to post. If I end up finding one, I will come back here and post it :)



1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this post Court...thanks for sharing...looks like both our first loves were with Siuslaw wrestlers =)

    ReplyDelete